Thursday, April 3, 2008

Confessions of a Mommy


I love these two little girls so dang much, but sometimes I know that I'm probably not just cutting it as a "got it together" great mom. I mainly notice it as I sit in church while my 4 year old does not know the difference between whispering and talking very loudly and my dear little 7 month old has no clue about being quiet, all she is interested in is entertaining whoever is sitting behind us (mostly the McConkies.) And as I sit there trying to pretend like I may know what I'm doing with this mommy business, I can't help but notice all the other little families with the kids who are behaving so reverently and the moms who have "got it together"-meaning they are on time, kids are beautifully dressed, they are beautifully dressed with hair and makeup done perfectly, nobody is crying or whining, their kids are fed and happy, and they just look glad to be there and filled with the spirit. Well, I am not one of those moms. Rarely are we on time, rarely am I wearing all of my makeup, rarely are my kids (well Ally) not whining, rarely are my kids fed and happy and most of the time I'm counting down the minutes until we can get out of there and end the embarassment. You would think that at least I could fake it, but nope, I haven't figured that one out yet. Anyways, this has led me to a lot of thinking lately about me being a good mom and I've decided that I have a very far way to come. I hear in the news or from other moms things that you should or shouldn't do with your kids. Every time I hear something new I realize that I'm doing the wrong thing. Maybe if I share some of my confessions, it will help me feel better about myself. So, here are a few things that definitely won't win me mother of the year:
  • I'm not very patient (case in point: Ally had a huge temper tantrum today and there was a lot of yelling all day from both of us - sorry to all of my neighbors if you heard it)
  • I snuggle my baby until she is asleep before I lay her down
  • I don't have my children on a schedule. They go to sleep when they are tired and they eat when they are hungry.
  • I bought Avery a walker. I just found out that it will cause problems with her learning to walk because she walks a different way in a walker. I'm still using it though, it keeps her entertained for a bit.
  • Barney is a great babysitter. And while I'm confessing, so is Super Why, Clifford and Curious George and sometimes Dragon Tales if I can stand to listen to it in the background (I hate that show).
  • Ally has eaten her breakfast while watching Clifford or Curious George almost every single morning since she was 2.
  • I feed my baby table food.
  • I threaten a lot and hardly ever follow through.
  • Sometimes Ally will tell me a huge long story and I lose interest in the first 30 seconds and tune her out.
  • Avery sleeps on her tummy.
  • I don't practice numbers or alphabet with Ally every day.
  • I tell Ally that if she throws fits, they won't let her into Kindergarten.
  • I cheat on Chutes and Ladders (it takes to long if you don't).
  • I don't know how many times I've burnt Ally's ears with the curling iron while curling her hair.
  • I haven't made one scrapbook page of either of my kids. They don't even have a photo album.

Wow, I actually feel a lot better getting those off of my chest. Now if I just don't worry what other people will think of me (it's a problem of mine) now that I let my secrets out. I know that I'll never be that perfect mom or even a great mom at that, but I do know that my kids are healthy, happy and that I love them and they know I do.

13 comments:

Chelsea said...

Linds your a GREAT mom. That last part says it all. You make me laugh! Those moms at church that seem to be perfect are really good fakers, because they aren't!

Aaron said...

You really are a GREAT mom! The BEST in my book. I know I don't tell you that enough and you probably don't feel like it enough, but you really are. Nobody is the perfect mom or dad and we're all learning and trying to do our best all the time. Thats all that matters. Forget about what you think other people are thinking and just do your best. I love you!

Moosman Fam said...

Okay... now, first off I got quite a kick out of your confessions.. many of which would fall on my list as well. I love that you are so honest about things! We are all really just trying to get by! Second... it really is all in the eye of the beholder, because Andy and I are always in awe at how Ali is so quite at church. She usually just lays down and falls asleep... when in my life does that get to happen~!

Lisa said...

Every single Mom in the world feels the same way you do, and we all have our own list of confessions. But guess what? You nailed it when you said what is important. Your girls are happy, healthy, beautiful, sweet, polite (Ally says thank you for EVERYTHING!), creative, loving, perfectly normal little people...and they know they are loved by you and Aaron (and all their multitude of family) and by Heavenly Father. Nothing else matters! You are doing a GREAT job. Don't stress. Someday those babies will be all grown up and they'll wonder how you made childhood so good for them. I love you, too!

The Pyper's! said...

you are a great mom...I am sure all moms feel that way sometimes.... Anyway my favorite one is that they won't let her into Kindergarten if she throws a fit! I think that is hilarious!

Katie said...

Your kids are super cute. I am sorry we are such bad friends. I will try to do better about getting a hold of you and doing more to get together this summer. Hope all is well with you. Kameron

Breinholt Family said...

Lindsey! Find someone to sit by at church that have older kids like mine. I did that when my kids were little and the Smith kids loved my kids and kept them entertained. And Rob and Glenda never, ever, ever judged me by how noisy my kids were. And they were bad sometimes! I will always be indebted to the Smith's in Layton for their tolerance of my kids sitting behind them every week in Church. Also now I am at the stage I am (my baby is 11), honestly you notice your own kids much more than everyone else! The rest of us really don't notice them. We just remember when it was our turn and glad that it's your turn now! xxoo Aunt Mary

Kristen said...

Hey, if your kids are happy, healthy and they know you love them, that qualifies in my book. Quit reading what "your supposed" to do. That always just gets me all worked up. My mom hates mothers day because she has to sit in church and listen to people talk about how wonderful they are as mothers and she always feels guilty. So quit worrying and just love those little babies....plus they really don't let you into kindergarten (or preschool) if you throw fits.
PS, I got a good chuckle out of that.

Jana Banana said...

Hi neighbor! I think you would be surprised at everyone elses confessions, as we all have them- and I have many!! I am worried somedays that you guys might sneak a peek of me and my kids still in our jammies at 2 in the afternoon- and I think Luke watched Barney at least 10 times today! At least they are happy, right?!

You are doing a wonderful job as a mommy!

:)

Brittany said...

Hey Lindsey...I love your confessions! (And your blog!) I can honestly tell you that I do almost all of the same things on your list of confessions, especially the yelling one...I don't know why I even bother arguing with a two year old...but I do!! I also threaten a lot, but never have the energy to follow through, since it takes to much effort on my part to drag Carson to his room all the time! :) I also hate dragon tales, don't know why, but Super Why is a big hit at our house! I had a smile on my face the whole time I was reading it! Cause I could apply all of that to my life, except for maybe the curling iron thing! But Carson will play with my curling irons and pretend to curl his hair, but of course, they are never plugged in! Thanks for the humor!

Jess said...

I think someone just wrote a book about this--a bunch of mom's confessions. :) I think you are too hard on yourself! You have great kids and you do a great job!

Amy said...

Hi there some-what neighbor!
I just found your blog through Tiffany's, and I love it! You are awesome! I love that you can come out and openly confess what a lot of us do. I feel the same as you, about not being on time and having kids that behave perfectly, because if you sat all the way in the back of the chapel like we do, you would know you aren't alone. We have to leave early or spend a lot of time out in the foyer(sp??) with mackenzie cause she wants to run around! Keep up the good work! I think your kids are fantastic and you all look great!

Kirk and Jill Smith - said...

You are hilarious!!! I miss you so much! As everyone else has already stated, we all do our best. As I watched Erika throw a fit today and hit her hand against the bath tub, I realized she was copying what I did yesterday when she wet her pants. :o) YIPES!!! Gotta watch what I do. Erika slept on her stomach, I think she still does. And I finally have to admit, I'm not anti-Barney anymore. He teaches them good things. It could be worse!! I'm sure you're doing great, and we all have to make it one day at a time!!! I love you and I miss you!!!